ELOS Plus Hair Removal
The new ELOS Plus system from Syneron represents the latest technology to remove hair in a painless fashion. The hair you see is “the tip of the iceberg”. There are three times as many hair follicles beneath the skin surface that are in a different stage of the growth cycle. Only the hair in the Active Stage of growth is vulnerable to damage by the Diode Laser or Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) and Radio Frequency (RF). The follicles underneath the ones you currently see at any given time need to be treated later when they become active. That is why multiple treatments are necessary. The stages of hair re-growth are staggered, and so are the treatments.
Schedule of Treatments
In general, the first 3 treatments should be done as follows:
Face and Neck:
1-3 treatments every 4 weeks, then the remaining treatments approximately every 6 weeks.
Bikini and Underarm Area:
1-3 treatments every 6 weeks, then approximately every 8 weeks.
Arms, Legs, Back, and Abdomen:
1-3 every 8 weeks, then approximately every 10-12 weeks about 2 months apart for most parts of the body.
After the third treatment, the next treatment can be done when you notice a re-growth of hair. This is the ideal time for permanent reduction as the phases of hair growth are synchronizing together. You may then call to schedule an appointment for your fourth treatment at the time when this re-growth is noticed. Re-treating to soon may result in an ineffective treatment. Re-growth of hair varies but usually occurs about 2-5 months after the third treatment. If you need subsequent treatments, you can again simply wait for this re-growth of hair to occur. Once you have no growth for six months, it usually indicates long-term hair loss and no further treatment is necessary. Finally, the individual response varies, so does the number of treatments. You may still have some sparse, light, fuzzy or fine growth of hair.
Preparing for your treatments.
- Avoid sun exposure, or use sun protection with a complete sun block containing zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.
- If you are deeply tanned you need to wait 4-6 weeks in order to avoid the possibility of hyperpigmentation.
- Stop applying medications to skin or irritating agents to the skin 1-2 days before treatment.
- Shave the treatment area one day before the treatment. Otherwise the treatment will target the visible external hair, and not the hair follicle.
- Skin should be clean without make up, deodorant, perfume, sunscreen etc.
- Wait 2 weeks after peels or injections to have a treatment.
- DO NOT tweeze, pluck or wax the treatment area. The hair follicle will not be targeted if you do so. If you do, wait 4-6 weeks before having a treatment.
What to do after your treatment.
- Avoid sun exposure to treated area during your series of treatments. If you may be exposed to the sun use a sun block containing zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.
- Avoid microdermabrasion, exfoliating or using irritating products such as Retinoids for a few days after treatment.
- Avoid extreme heat to the treatment area.
- Expect some shedding of hair 2-4 weeks following treatment.
- Area can be shaved or clipped prior to treatments but do not tweeze, pluck or wax hair.
- Do not shave prior to your FOURTH treatment as you did for your first three treatments. Leave it unshaved for assessment by the nurse or doctor.
Possible temporary mild side effects
- Discomfort, warmth or tingling
- Swelling and redness
- Scabbing, crusting or blistering
- Darkening of pigmented lesions before becoming lighter